Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Little More to the Story

Ginna, Martha and I didn't always dream of starting a blog together, mostly we just liked to drink wine and talk about our crazy lives. However, one day in July, I went to drop a transcript off for my husband at his grad school. The Administrative Assistant was very kind and told me she had enjoyed getting to know Kev over the course of his MBA program. We were having a lovely conversation until out of no where she threw out, in the most assuming voice, "Aren't you so glad he is getting out of the Army?" I calmly responded that I am happy to support whatever he wants to do, thanked her for her time and quickly left.

Later that day, my son and I were on a long, lonely drive back to DC and the woman's question, especially the tone of it, was still bothering me. You see, for the past several years  months, my husband and I had been discussing getting out of the Army as this particular assignment came to a close. This summer, we had officially decided that he would be done after 8 years of service. And I supported this. I was excited about a new life, glad we wouldn't have to worry about deployments and happy that we could pick one place and stay there for as long as we pleased. However, I was shocked at other people's reaction to our decision. I hated that people assumed we were getting out because it is a bad life. I hated that people didn't understand that despite 2 years in Iraq, ultimately the Army had been good to us. I hated that people didn't know that the Army Family is one of the best families to be part of and that I had met some of the most amazing, passionate and admirable people in the world. I hated that civilians seemed to take their blessing for granted, while military families seemed to cherish every single moment.

After 5 long hours in the car alone, I realized that despite the decision we made, I needed the rest of the world to understand that it is not a bad life. I also realized that no one can explain it quite like the women who live it. The next day I mustered up the courage to email my dear friends Ginna and Martha and wrote something to the effects of "you can tell me this is stupid, but I just can't get it out of my heart. I think we should reach out to as many Army Wives as we know and write a book about it." Luckily for me, they thought it was a great idea, and so we brainstormed. And then we sent this letter out to all the amazing women we know. And then we decided to start a blog. And then essays started coming in. O and somewhere in between there, husband and I decided to stay in the Army.

I share this story with you because I wanted you to know that this blog is bigger than the 3 of us. Over the next few months we will share excerpts from the essays we have received thus far. You will laugh, you will cry, you will be overwhelmed by the determination and passion that Army Wives have to make a good life for their families despite obvious struggles. Hopefully, one day, you will see these all in print: a compilation of different stories and different perspectives, joined together by strong will, big hearts and a sense of service to our country.

Lastly, if you did not get a chance to contribute, or this is the first time hearing about this venture and you would like to contribute, please send us an email at armywivesbook@gmail.com

Thanks for supporting us through this blog and beyond!

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment